A group of Sudanese aid workers held since Saturday by rebels were released early Wednesday, a U.N. official said.
Barry Came of the U.N. World Food Program sstated the six aid workers - three from WFP and three from the Sudanese Red Crescent - were safe and well and being debriefed by a U.N. security team in Al-Fasher after being picked up by
helicopter in Tabit, south of Al-Fasher, Wednesday morning.
Officials had originally said eight workers were missing,
but Barry corrected that on Wednesday, saying two workers
scheduled to have gone out with the team never made the
trip because of illness.
The team had been assessing conditions and registering
displaced people. (Albawaba.com)
© 2004 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)