Two US troops killed in Fallujah as Iraqi civilian killed in Baghdad attack

Published March 21st, 2004 - 02:00 GMT
Al Bawaba
Al Bawaba

A rocket attack near the Iraqi town of Fallujah, west of Baghdad, killed two American troops and injured seven, the U.S. military said Sunday.  

 

Brigadier General Mark Kimmitt, deputy director of operations for the U.S. army in Iraq, said, according to Reuters, three rockets landed at a forward operating base at about 8 p.m. (1700 GMT) on Saturday.  

 

Elsewhere, a blast was reported Sunday in a residential part of west Baghdad, damaging some cars, according to locals. The explosion was caused by a rocket less than a mile from the occupation headquarters, eyewitnesses said.  

 

Later, reports said an Iraqi civilian was killed and eight others were wounded after a rocket-propelled grenade (RPG) exploded in a busy central Baghdad street on Sunday. 

 

A police spokesman said that at least one Iraqi had been killed when a rocket hit a street in the Mansour neighbourhood of western Baghdad.  

 

At least two huge blasts rang out around Baghdad's "Green Zone", one of Saddam's former palace complexes where the US-led occupation's administration in Iraq is based. The blasts were heard shortly before 10:00am (07:00 GMT). 

 

Police said they believed three rockets or mortar rounds had been fired from the south of the city towards the Green Zone. (Albawaba.com)

© 2004 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)

Subscribe

Sign up to our newsletter for exclusive updates and enhanced content