UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan has deplored the deadly attack on a United Nations building in Baghdad, while the Security Council reiterated the need to ensure the safety of international personnel in Iraq, reported The Associated Press.
An Iraqi gunman demanding an end to UN sanctions against his country forced his way into a building of the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) in Baghdad Wednesday and opened fire. Two FAO staffers were killed and six people were seriously wounded in the ensuing shoot out.
The gunman, Fowad Hussein Haydar, denied shooting anybody in a press conference at a Baghdad police station hours after the event. He said there had been heavy fire for two hours, said the agency.
"The secretary-general deeply deplores the senseless loss of life of two FAO colleagues in Baghdad," said UN deputy spokesman Manoel de Almeida e Silva.
The dead were identified by FAO officials as Yusuf Abdilleh, an administrative officer from Somalia and Marwewan Mohammed Hassan, a data base operator from Iraq. A seventh casualty, a FAO worker, was hurt trying to jump from a window of the building.
The Security Council was briefed on Wednesday's attack by Benon Sevan, UN security coordinator and executive director of the UN Office of the Iraq Program.
"The members of the council reiterate the need to continue to ensure respect for the security and safety of all persons directly involved in the implementation of the humanitarian program," council president Jean-David Levitte of France said after the briefing, said the agency.
He stressed that the council would like to see the results of the Iraqi investigation into the assault "as soon as possible." - Albawaba.com
© 2000 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)