Bahrain food subsidies to cost $ 180 million
[In Bahrain] Meat, poultry and flour will receive BD67 million in government subsidies this year, up from BD56m in 2011.
The government has also earmarked BD67m to continue subsidising these basic staples in 2014.
Industry and Commerce Minister Dr Hassan Fakhro submitted a memo updating the weekly Cabinet session on soaring government subsidies.
The ministry and Municipalities and Urban Planning Affairs was also instructed to study the possibility of supporting local livestock farmers and submit a report. The aim is to meet consumers' needs in local meat and poultry at subsidised prices.
- Tourism is the real target of the Tunisia attacks: industry set to suffer
- FIFA scandal probe: No deaths in 2022 World Cup construction, Qatar says
- The UAE harnesses the power of celebrity endorsements
- Gazans reach beyond Israeli blockade through start-up
- France is playing a risky dating game in the Gulf: experts