Bahrain food subsidies to cost $ 180 million
[In Bahrain] Meat, poultry and flour will receive BD67 million in government subsidies this year, up from BD56m in 2011.
The government has also earmarked BD67m to continue subsidising these basic staples in 2014.
Industry and Commerce Minister Dr Hassan Fakhro submitted a memo updating the weekly Cabinet session on soaring government subsidies.
The ministry and Municipalities and Urban Planning Affairs was also instructed to study the possibility of supporting local livestock farmers and submit a report. The aim is to meet consumers' needs in local meat and poultry at subsidised prices.
- Egyptian stocks plummet as Yemen confict deepens
- Mission to Mars: UAE plans Arab region's first unmanned probe
- Supervising the stoners: Egyptian tobacco traders call for the legalization of cannabis
- Ethiopia launches $2.8m research survey for Nile basin development
- UAE sweetens flotation regulations to attract more investment