Campaign to save energy launched in Syria
The Syrian Ministry of Electricity has launched a media campaign for rationing energy under the title "Together Towards Rationing Energy". The campaign aims at raising social awareness on the importance of energy and at upgrading its efficiency, in addition to rationing its use as a national treasure.
The program includes TV symposia, posters and other varied media materials.
Reports indicate that the demand for electric power in Syria has been increasing by 10% annually. This requires the creation of new generating stations whci will be able to produce more than 800 MW per year.
Experts predict that the Syrian electricity sector needs during the next five years an investment of some 3.5 billion euros (218.3 billion Syrian pounds) for generation alone, especially since the number of electric power subscribers is expected to rise by about 5 million. (Source: www.yallafinance.com)
- Syria must invest four billion dollars to cover electricity needs to 2010
- Syria reports big increase in electricity demand, generation
- Egyptian electricity sector requires EP3 billion investments annually
- Electricity woes costing Lebanon $6 bln a year
- Electricity consumption expected to rise in new academic year