Egypt approves Qatari bid for SocGen
In a press statement reported on Thursday by state-run news agency MENA, QNB said it had begun legal measures with the Egyptian government to obtain Societe Generale's Egypt unit and expected to make a full acquisition within two months.
QNB presented its offer to acquire NSGB to Egypt's central bank on 19 December 2012.
The leading Qatari bank will pay almost $2 billion its stake.
News of the central bank's approval propelled NSGB's shares, with analysts expecting it to be Thursday's biggest gainer.
- 7% of Emaratis had to deal with a false positive with their bank - survey
- Trade between 18 Arab countries hikes to $2.1 trillion - IMF
- Allocating more funds to SWF would improve Saudi wealth returns
- Sovereign wealth funds in GCC focus more on local investments
- US economy improving only for owners of inflated stocks and real estate