Egypt approves Qatari bid for SocGen
In a press statement reported on Thursday by state-run news agency MENA, QNB said it had begun legal measures with the Egyptian government to obtain Societe Generale's Egypt unit and expected to make a full acquisition within two months.
QNB presented its offer to acquire NSGB to Egypt's central bank on 19 December 2012.
The leading Qatari bank will pay almost $2 billion its stake.
News of the central bank's approval propelled NSGB's shares, with analysts expecting it to be Thursday's biggest gainer.
- Taming the monster: UAE regulator to tighten supervision of financial markets over Arabtec's debacle
- Banking in the time of Ramadan: reconciling contemplation with profit-making
- Attempting to go mainstream? how Islamic banks are ditching the 'Islam' label in order to go global
- How Sukuks are proving a viable financing option for Saudi Arabia
- To jump on the bandwagon or not to jump: all about owning a credit card in Egypt