Egypt approves Qatari bid for SocGen
In a press statement reported on Thursday by state-run news agency MENA, QNB said it had begun legal measures with the Egyptian government to obtain Societe Generale's Egypt unit and expected to make a full acquisition within two months.
QNB presented its offer to acquire NSGB to Egypt's central bank on 19 December 2012.
The leading Qatari bank will pay almost $2 billion its stake.
News of the central bank's approval propelled NSGB's shares, with analysts expecting it to be Thursday's biggest gainer.
- Deflation shocks in emerging markets and the GCC currency peg
- Crashing oil: has the time come for GCC countries to tax their citizens?
- Moody indeed: how did Moody's rate the ME's banks for 2015?
- The Middle East's Switzerland? Lebanon's banking secrecy is here to stay
- Precious retirement: why UAE expats are moving their pensions out of the UK