Egypt approves Qatari bid for SocGen
In a press statement reported on Thursday by state-run news agency MENA, QNB said it had begun legal measures with the Egyptian government to obtain Societe Generale's Egypt unit and expected to make a full acquisition within two months.
QNB presented its offer to acquire NSGB to Egypt's central bank on 19 December 2012.
The leading Qatari bank will pay almost $2 billion its stake.
News of the central bank's approval propelled NSGB's shares, with analysts expecting it to be Thursday's biggest gainer.
- Why is Jordan's inflation so high? These reasons may surprise you....
- The Middle East's lack of savings: a ticking time bomb?
- How a Middle Eastern bank fought off the global financial crisis and turned around
- The GCC's small businesses need to prepare themselves for bankcruptcy
- Why the World Bank is ill-prepared when it comes to dealing with the Middle East