Egypt approves Qatari bid for SocGen
In a press statement reported on Thursday by state-run news agency MENA, QNB said it had begun legal measures with the Egyptian government to obtain Societe Generale's Egypt unit and expected to make a full acquisition within two months.
QNB presented its offer to acquire NSGB to Egypt's central bank on 19 December 2012.
The leading Qatari bank will pay almost $2 billion its stake.
News of the central bank's approval propelled NSGB's shares, with analysts expecting it to be Thursday's biggest gainer.
- United Arab Bank makes AED250,000 contribution to Al Thiqah Club for the Handicapped
- Opening up: is Saudi Arabia's stock market ready for an upgrade?
- Severe symptom of a savings gap? Turkey leads Europe in credit card debt
- Gulf stocks facing some serious 'downward pressures'
- Long-anticipated hike: Dollar on track for best annual gain in nine years