Lebanon olive oil industry growing
Lebanon's olive industry is booming
Click here to add Anwar Khalil as an alert
Disable alert for Anwar Khalil,
Click here to add Finance Ministry as an alert
Disable alert for Finance Ministry,
Click here to add Hussein Hajj Hasan as an alert
Disable alert for Hussein Hajj Hasan,
Click here to add Lebanese army as an alert
Disable alert for Lebanese army
Agriculture Minister Hussein Hajj Hasan said Monday that he has asked the Cabinet to purchase 100,000 20-liter olive oil canisters as local produce increased to 2 million canisters.
Hajj Hasan said reviving cooperatives is necessary to boost the olive oil sector, which primarily suffers from the small size of agricultural properties. He said work should be done for Lebanese olive oil to be certified as organic. Meanwhile, Hasbaya farmers called on the government to settle payments owed to olive farmers since last year.
They also called for government help in finding markets to this year’s oil produce. Hasbaya MP Anwar Khalil said the Finance Ministry has unfairly required farmers to open bank accounts before receiving the payments due on 50,000 canisters bought for the Lebanese Army last year.
- Al Tayer bucks the US department store trend with Bloomingdale's Kuwait opening
- Gulf Islamic banks set to outperform conventional banks for second year: Moody's
- Jordan secures EU finance for socioeconomic and environmental programs
- Same-day service deliveries in GCC an untapped market: Wing CEO
- Will terror attacks damper Arabs' appetite for European holidays?