New safety practices for oil industry in Oman
A new high-tech system to promote safe rigging practices in the oil and gas industry [in Oman] was launched on Monday in the presence of key government and industry officials.
RigRider, a state-of-the-art system was developed by Dalma Energy, Yokogawa, and Well Engineering Partners. The system uses interactive touchscreen stations, smartphones and tablets to give personnel essential information on procedures at workplaces.
Dr Tom Bakker, technology director of Well Engineering Partners said, “Contrary to what many oilfield experts believe, history shows that bookshelves full of information do not consistently lead to safe and efficient drilling operations with minimal human error.
“Mistakes are made and shortcuts continue to be taken resulting in operational inefficiency and compromised safety, leaving the door ajar to major drilling catastrophes. RigRider technology brings vital knowledge from the bookshelf to oilfield personnel at the moment they need it.”
Mohammed al Esry, vice president, Organisational Effectiveness, Dalma Energy, echoed the views of Dr Bakker, “Dalma Energy operates 22 land rigs throughout the Gulf region, Asia and North Africa. We have embraced this technology as we believe it brings vital knowledge to frontline staff. We can't expect rig crews to know all the details and keep up to date with changing procedures and new regulations unless it is at their fingertips. This system creates a direct link between frontline workers and procedures,” he said.
- Egyptian stocks plummet as Yemen confict deepens
- Mission to Mars: UAE plans Arab region's first unmanned probe
- Supervising the stoners: Egyptian tobacco traders call for the legalization of cannabis
- Ethiopia launches $2.8m research survey for Nile basin development
- UAE sweetens flotation regulations to attract more investment
- Octal ushers in a new era for health and safety as employees embrace ‘Annual Safety Week’
- Global best practices are crucial for raising safety standards at construction sites, say experts at OIC seminar
- Omanoil partners with Oman Green Awards 2012 to honor outstanding environmental conservation practices
- Omanoil drives national efforts to advocate road safety at Traffic Safety Expo 2013