Saudi police arrest 6,000 foreigners in Jeddah
Saudi police have arrested more than 6,000 illegal immigrants in five days in the western city of Jeddah, Arab News reported Tuesday, July 17.
The round up by passport authorities followed surveillance of immigrants from a number of Arab and Asian countries suspected of overstaying their visas, the paper said.
Saudi authorities regularly announce the arrests of mainly Arab and Asian Muslim nationals who arrive in the kingdom to perform pilgrimage but choose to remain there in breach of visa regulations.
Illegal immigrants are deported while landlords renting accommodation to them face prison terms and fines. ― (AFP, Riyadh)
© Agence France Presse 2001
© 2001 Mena Report (www.menareport.com)
- Oman nabs 155 illegal immigrants
- Well, that went well: Saudi Arabia aggressive labor raids put schools, businesses on stand-by
- Morocco police arrest foreign nationals
- Saudi Kingdom arrested over 20,000 illegal foreigners during Ramadan
- Have you no PRIDE?! Two ‘homosexual’ parties dismantled by Saudi police