Syrian crisis: UAE, Kuwait pledge $300m each to help Syrians
Kuwait Wednesday kicked off an international donors conference for civilians caught up in the Syrian conflict with a pledge of $300 million, as UN chief Ban Ki-moon warned of a “catastrophic” situation.
The United Arab Emirates (UAE) also pledged $300 million for Syrian refugee who have been made homeless by nearly two years of conflict, the official WAM news agency reported.
“Due to the great sufferings of the Syrian people and to help ensure the success of the conference, I announce the Kuwaiti donation of $300 million for the Syrian people,” Kuwait Emir Sheikh Sabah Al-Ahmad Al-Sabah said as he opened the one-day conference in Kuwait City.
Announcing the funding, UAE Crown Prince Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan said since the start of the Syria crisis the UAE had been committed to providing relief for Syrian refugees in neighboring countries.
Also addressing the International Humanitarian Pledging Conference for Syria, Ban called for urgent financial aid, warning that if funds were not forthcoming “more Syrians will die.”
“The situation in Syria is catastrophic,” the UN chief said as he urged all parties to the conflict to “stop the killings.”
The United Nations says that more than 60,000 people have been killed in Syria’s 22-month conflict, which erupted in March 2011 with peaceful protests but morphed into an armed insurgency after a harsh regime crackdown.
- Tunisian, Moroccan Chambers of Commerce meet to discuss economic partnership
- Winter wonderland: Dubai debuts Aspen Chalets with view of Ski Dubai
- Egyptian economic experts predict inflation rate will continue to climb
- Shoura Council: Expats cannot buy property in Mecca, Medina, Riyadh
- Tensions increase between Egypt, Italy over renewable energy projects