Speeding ticket? Blame your toyota! Saudi Arabia forced to recall 400,000 toyotas for unintended acceleration
Saudi Arabia on Wednesday announced the recall of more than 400,000 Toyota cars for alleged problems with unintended acceleration, a statement from the kingdom’s ministry of commerce and industry said.
It said the vehicles will be equipped with a break override system to “reduce the risk of sudden unintended acceleration without the ability to stop or control it.”
The ministry said 10 models, manufactured between 2005 and 2010, would be recalled. In October, a US court found Toyota was not to blame for a fatal crash involving claims of unintended acceleration, a case that sparked huge global recalls and badly dented the company’s reputation for safety.
The safety scare prompted a worldwide recall of millions of cars, the first of a series for Japanese firm, which had previously traded on the safety and reliability of its cars.
Last December, Toyota said it had agreed to pay about $1.1 billion (€800 million) to settle a class action lawsuit launched by US vehicle owners affected by the series of mass recalls from the automaker. The company did not accept any blame but agreed to compensate owners who said the value of about 16.3 million vehicles took a hit from dozens of accidents allegedly caused by vehicles speeding out of control in 2009.
- Inedible oil: time to face the realities of food insecurity in the GCC
- Mena jack of all trades with projects totaling $2.5 trillion underway
- Giving their economies a 'new look': GCC headed towards the plastic option
- Does manufacturing hold the key to ending high unemployment in Jordan?
- Spotlight on Saudi women clothing manufacturing initiative
- How is it still the world's largest car manufacturer? Toyota forced to recall another 6 million vehicles over 'string of problems'
- Saudis import $700 million worth of Australian cars a year
- Saudi Investment in Road Network Construction, Maintenance
- Saudi Arabia: Industrial lands estimated
- Saudi Arabia Eases Ban on Thai Tuna