UAE web-surfers promised “reliable and robust” internet
UAE web surfers have been promised a more “reliable and robust” internet service as a global technology giant and several major telecoms companies, including Etisalat, are collaborating on a new undersea cable system to connect several countries across the Middle East and Asia.
Communications giant Alcatel-Lucent yesterday announced it has signed a deal with telecoms firms in various countries to deploy the new 100G cable system - so-called because it can process 100 Gigabits per second - to connect Oman, the UAE, India, Sri Lanka and Malaysia.
“The Bay of Bengal Gateway (BBG) cable system will enhance the robustness and reliability of international connectivity into and out of the six countries,” the firm said in a statement yesterday. The system will make landfall at a number of points along the route - connecting to the UAE at Fujairah. The new system is set to be operational by 2014.
It will underpin “the continued growth of new applications and services in the Middle East, the Indian sub-continent and the Far East”, Alcatel-Lucent said.
Despite huge advances in technology in recent years, the fact remains that much of the internet system so critical the world today is reliant on a series of bulky cables strung along the bottom of the world’s oceans and seas.
The dangers of this were highlighted again last month when Egyptian authorities arrested three men off the coast of Alexandria suspected of trying to sever a key underwater cable. Damage to the cable resulted in a drop in internet speeds in the UA
- Samsung S6, S6 Edge receive warm welcome in Saudi Arabia
- Mission to Mars: UAE plans Arab region's first unmanned probe
- Eclipsing Facebook and Twitter: WhatsApp most popular social media site for Arabs
- More technology, less fashion: Why fashionistas haven't exactly fallen for Apple's smartwatch
- Why the new Samsung Galaxy S6 will 'redefine mobility'
- Globitel's USSD Provides Zantel Subscribers with a Robust Communication Interface
- Panasonic sets a higher standard for reliable mobile and wireless computing
- Etisalat deploys core Internet element to enhance Internet performance throughout region
- Crusoe chip out later this year on AOL-Gateway Internet Appliances