Water and electricity company established in Fujairah
A new electricity and water supply plant was recently established in Fujairah at the cost of 1.5 billion Emirati dirhams ($408 million). The new company has been commissioned with establishing and operating a water desalinizing and electricity generating station, reports Al-Hayat daily.
The government of Abu Dhabi is expected to finance the initial phases of the project’s construction, while a foreign partner will manage and operate the station in exchange for a 49 percent holding of the company.
The electricity industry in the United Arab Emirates has grown rapidly in recent years, with power reaching nearly every home in the state, and demand spiraling further.
In addition, the demand for water supplies has also increased significantly. Last year, some 75,000 consumers required approximately 250,300 million imperial gallons per day.
A federal law implemented in 1999 established an independent authority under the auspices of the Ministry of Electricity and Water to oversee the sector and supervise projects and planning in the future. –(MENA Report)
© 2001 Mena Report (www.menareport.com)
- New Private Electricity and Water Company to be Established in Saudi Arabia
- Falconcity of Wonders Signs an Agreement with Dubai Electricity and Water Authority to Supply the First Phase of the Project with Electrical Power
- Tabreed signs 20-year cooling contract with Fujairah Water and Power Plant
- New project planned for Fujairah
- METITO completes Fujairah Port water plant