When the going gets tough: Assad's mom jumps ship for Dubai's sunny shores
The sources told the London newspaper that Anisa Makhlouf moved to Dubai and is staying with her daughter Bushra, who moved there with her children after her husband, Gen. Assef Shawkat, was killed in a bombing at national security headquarters in Damascus in July, Ynetnews.com reported Sunday.
Assad's mother's "departure from Syria is another indication of Assad losing support even from within his family," the Ya Libnan website said, quoting Ayman Abdel Nour, head of the newly formed group Syrian Christians for Democracy and editor in chief of opposition news website all4syria.com.
- Assad's sect crumbling: rumors of rifts within as his sister flees
- First of the family to fall: Who was Assad's brother-in-law?
- He's on a boat! Bashar al Assad allegedly living on a Russian warship
- Asma Al-Assad's Father Speaks Out, Fears for Daughter
- Assad's Wife, Children 'Stopped by Rebel Forces from Trying to Flee Syria'