More Arab than he thought! Behind Obama's smoking habit
For all his war-mongering in the region, it seems Obama has more in common with Arabs than we first thought - or at least he used to!
You only have to walk a few steps down any given road in the Middle East before you are met with the wafting scent of cigarette smoke. It's no secret that Arabs love their ciggies, and it seems that the US president did too - until his wife, Michelle Obama, scared him out of lighting up!
The revelation about his wife's power over his smokes was made on Monday, when Obama was caught chatting off-guard with a UN official and was recorded by a CNN microphone saying said he hoped the official had quit smoking.
After the official appeared to ask Obama about his own cigarette use, Obama said he hadn't had a cigarette in probably six years.
He added, with a broad grin: "That's because I'm scared of my wife," British newspaper The Guardian reported.
Although it's unlikely than any wife (even if she is the lovely Michelle) could kick the long-running smoking habit of any given Arab, it's always refreshing to know that Obama is just like any other Middle Easterner and enjoys a cheeky Marlboro.
- No butts about it! Smoking hot wife divorced in Saudi for cigarette habit
- Haifa Wehbe: Agrees to Loan ‘That’ Dress to Obama’s Wife
- Rouhani: At 20, Obama smoked pot, Merkel was a waitress and I spoke against the Shah
- The other Obama: Barack's brother spotted wearing pro-Hamas keffiyeh
- Obama called Bush, Clinton before releasing statement on Osama's death; Bush congratulates Obama on Bin Laden killing