Back to the bar? Dubai sexpats get sentence cut by a month
Two expats caught having sex in the back of a Dubai cab have had their sentence cut from three months to two months in prison.
The pair, Brit Rebecca Blake and an Irishman, both denied having sex outside of marriage.
Blake hired a publicist following her arrest and spoke candidly to British media on several occasions, saying she was scared of going to prison. Her co-accused has shunned publicity.
Following conviction, the pair took their case to Dubai Appeal Court, which issued the new sentence on Tuesday.
The defendans were arrested after the driver of the taxi stopped on Sheikh Zayed Road to report the couple to a passing police patrol.
Their lawyer, Shaker Al Shammary, told the appeal court earlier that the driver made up the story after he tried to blackmail his passengers and they refused to pay.
However, during their original trial, a policeman testified that he saw the defendants having sex in the cab. He said Blake was naked and was sat on the man’s lap as the policeman knocked on the window.
The taxi driver said he picked up the couple, who had been drinking, at 10.30pm in May last year in Tecom and they asked to go to Al Barsha.
Do you think the pair really did have sex in the taxi or is it a set-up? Is two months a fair sentence? Share your comments with us below!
- Dubai sexpats take their case to the appeal court in desperate last ditch attempt
- Sexpats busted by taxi driver found guilty in Dubai court
- The walk of shame: Dubai's taxi sexpat calls in damage control
- Riding in cars with girls: Ultra-conservative Salafi MP sentenced for lewd act with 19-year-old
- Boozed-Up Couple's Full-Fledged Hanky Panky in Dubai Taxi