Rock hard honor: Dubai taxi driver returns forgotten diamonds
An Egyptian businessman who left Dh200,000 in cash and Dh1 million worth of diamonds in the trunk of a taxi had nearly given up hope of ever finding it.
But thanks to the honesty of the driver, he has been reunited with his treasure.
Bangladeshi cabbie Abdul Halim, who earns around Dh3,500 a month, said he discovered the hoard after duty hours. “My shift ended at 4.30pm and as usual I checked the boot. Inside lay a big brown leather bag. I opened it and I froze. There were several wads of currency, a chequebook and a boxful of diamonds. I hadn’t seen anything like this before,” said the 31-year-old, recalling the May 25 incident.
Halim said he instantly realised that the bag could belong to the Egyptian he picked up at Al Mas Tower in Jumeirah Lakes Tower (JLT) to go to the Deira Gold Souq that morning.
By Anjana Kumar
- The good taxi driver: UAE cabbie finds $25,000 in his car....and returns it to owner
- Sexpats busted by taxi driver found guilty in Dubai court
- Diamonds are for never: precious stones stolen by security guards go missing
- Dubai sexpats take their case to the appeal court in desperate last ditch attempt
- Back to the bar? Dubai sexpats get sentence cut by a month