Egyptian stars win big at Dubai film fest
On Sunday, 16 December, at the closing ceremony of the Dubai International Film Festival, the list of winners was finally announced, which included several Egyptian actors and filmmakers.
Amr Waked won Best Actor in the Muhr Arab Feature category for his performance in revolutionary film El-Sheta Illi Fat ('Winter of Discontent'). Waked plays a retired political activist during last year's 18-day uprising that culminated in the ouster of longstanding president Hosni Mubarak.
Egypt's Aida El-Kashef, meanwhile, won Best Actress in the Muhr Asia-Africa Feature category for her performance in Indian film 'Ship of Theseus,' which explores several life questions through its chief protagonists: an experimental photographer, a monk and a young stockbroker.
Dina Farouk won the Special Jury Prize for Harg wa Marg ('Chaos and Disorder'), a feature film that follows the lives of people living in an isolated community in a garbage dump.
Ahmed Ibrahim's short film, Noor, won the Muhr Short Arab Feature award. The film tells the story of a young boy who wants to decorate his neighbourhood with festive lights during the Islamic fasting month of Ramadan.
- Taiwan Wins Muscat Film Fest’s ‘Golden Dagger’ Prize
- Dubai film fest gives lucky fans the chance to 'hang out' with their favorite stars
- Closing ceremony of the Dubai International Film Festival
- Ahmed Zaki Wins Best Actor Award at Egyptian Film Fest
- Lebanon's 'Powerless' doc scores big at Dubai film fest