Voices of the Gulf: world premiers and festival screenings
The festival, now in its ninth year, gives regional projects a platform in the Gulf Voices segment, which screens films out of competition. Five shorts and one feature film, portraying the changing face of the Gulf region, will be showcased, including Aseel by Khalid Zidjali. His feature film tells the story of the struggles of a 9-year-old tribal boy striving to protect his heritage and village. Iraqi filmmaker Kamiran Betasi’s short film, Silhoutte, will have its world premiere.
“Offering some unique perspectives on the Arab world today, the emotive stories portrayed in the Gulf Voices film category will resonate with DIFF audiences,” said Masoud Amralla Al Ali, DIFF’s artistic director. “The talent and technique used to craft and develop these films is true testament to Also showing are political thriller Factory of Lies, by Saudi Hamzah Jamjoom; Saudi filmmaker Nawaf Al Hoshani’s Just a Picture; 48 Hours, by Iraqi Haider Al Kinani; and Bahraini writer and director Mohammad Rashid Bu Ali’s This is London. Bu Ali has also been shortlisted for the IWC Schaffhausen Filmmaker Award, and this film won the Gulf Competition at GFF 2012.
DIFF “Friends of the Festival” ticket packages are now available, with six tiers on offer, giving patrons receive insider access to the festival; visit dubaifilmfest.com. The festival runs from December 9-16.
- Saudis and Kuwaitis got talent: Wadjda steals the show at Gulf FiIm Festival
- Powerful insights from Saudi Arabia, Oman, Bahrain, Kuwait in Dubai International Film Festival’s ‘Gulf Voices’ showcase
- Bahrain, Oman, Kuwait and Saudi Arabia included in Dubai International Film Festival’s Gulf Voices showcase
- Dubai International Film Festival reels in region's top talent with "Gulf Voices" program
- 4 films from Dubai International Film Festival, Gulf Film Festival screening at prestigious Hot Docs festival in Canada