It's official: Omar Sharif converts to Kabbalah
Omar Sharif, star of such greats as Lawrence of Arabia and Doctor Zhivago, has confirmed that he has converted from Islam to the Jewish mystic Kabbalah sect.
Rumors began of his conversion two years ago when the actor attended a number of religious meeting held for European Jews. Sharif said he was convinced by these to join the religion.
The actor has always had a very liberal interpretation of religion, telling the The Daily News, Egypt: "I believe in God and I believe in religion, but I believe religions should belong to you."
Kabbalah has a big star following with celebrities like Madonna named as fans of the religion. But the news of Omar’s conversion shocked many in the Arab world especially after he had changed his original religion Christianity and became a Muslim. Omar’s original name was Michael Shalhoub and before marrying Egyptian diva Faten Hamma he changed it to Omar.
- Ashton Kutcher clutched Mila Kunis close at a funeral in Israel
- Parliament forbids the entry of Madonna into Egypt
- Remember him? Hollywood actor Omar Sharif is suffering from Alzheimer's diease
- This legendary Egyptian songstress is a Jew who converted to Islam
- Movie legend Omar Sharif leaves cinema with one unreleased film after his death