Nexans’ QICC joint venture in Qatar starts commercial production at its new cable plant
Nexans, the worldwide leader in the cable industry, has completed a major step in the development of its joint venture in Qatar – the Qatar International Cable Company (QICC) – with the start-up of commercial production at the new cable plant in Mesaieed Industrial City, around 40 km from the capital, Doha. This state-of-the-art plant employs more than 100 people and is expected to generate a volume of business of over $100 million by 2011.
The new QICC plant is focused on the manufacture of low, medium and low end high voltage power cables for energy infrastructure and building projects, as well as special cables for the oil and gas industry. It has a current total floor space of 19,000 m2 on an overall plot of 70,000 m2, and a strategic location close to a harbour that is being developed as the largest in the Middle-East.
"The opening of this flagship plant in Qatar is a key strategic step that enables Nexans to address the specific needs of the buoyant and growing market in the Gulf Coast Countries. It adds high-quality, high-volume local manufacturing capability to the effective engineering, sales and customer support services already established in this area," said Frédéric Vincent, Chairman and CEO of Nexans.
- A precious vehicle banned: the emerging black market for Tuk-tuks in Egypt
- 'Halal-hysteria': the biggest issue facing the halal industry is a PR one
- No fluff: new subsidy cut may mean the end of Egyptian cotton
- An exercise in futility? UAE and Egypt bond over 'nonsensically' growing wheat in the desert
- Not getting off their back, yet: why activists still skeptical of GCC's band aid labour reforms
- Qatar International Cables Company New Cable Factory represents a regional state-of-the-art facility
- Qatar Petroleum and Hydro sign joint venture agreement for world-class aluminium plant
- Dana Gas commences production from new Egypt NGL plant
- Qatar Petroleum and Shell announce formation of the Qatargas 4 joint venture company