2010 Miss USA has Lebanese origins
Arab American Rima Fakih from Michigan has won the 2010 Miss USA title on Sunday night. Fakih, a Lebanese immigrant, told pageant organizers her family celebrates both Muslim and Christian faiths. She moved to the United States as a baby and was raised in New York, where she attended a Catholic school. Her family moved to Michigan in 2003.
According to the AP, Fakih told reporters she sold her car after graduating college in Michigan to help pay for her run in the Miss Michigan USA pageant.
The new queen's family is from Srifa in South Lebanon. According to press reports, at least eight Fakih family members were Hizbullah members killed by the Israeli army.
- Radio: Children of Former south Lebanese army members to attend Israeli Jewish schools
- Miss Lebanon 2011 following a dream and footsteps of Lebanese Miss Rima USA
- Former Miss USA Rima Fakih waltzes her way into Lebanon's "Dancing with the Stars"
- Syrian Wins Germany's Top Model Contest
- An international beauty: Lebanese lady wins Miss. Australia