Hizbullah on high alert ahead of Israeli drill
Hizbullah mobilized thousands of fighters in southern Lebanon on Friday ahead of week-long Israeli military exercises due to start on Sunday, an official from the Shiite group said. "The Hizbullah fighters have (been instructed) to be completely ready to confront Israeli maneuvers on Sunday," Nabil Qaouq told AFP. "Thousands of our fighters will not go to the polls (for municipal elections on Sunday) and will be prepared from today" for any eventuality, he added.
"In the event of any new attack on Lebanon, the Israelis will not find anywhere in Palestine to hide," he said.
Dubbed "Turning Point 4," the Israeli exercises are designed to prepare emergency responses to rocket strikes on Israel, with sirens due to ring out across the country on Wednesday and Israelis head for shelters.
- Israel - Lebanon war: 12 Hizbullah fighters killed, Israeli soldiers wounded
- Lebanon: Three Hizbullah fighters, three Israeli troops die in clashes
- Hizbullah: Some 250 fighters killed in war with Israel
- Hizbullah fighters stage major military maneuvers in south Lebanon
- Firefight in southern Lebanon after Israeli forces try to rescue glider