Clashes in Tripoli as Gaddafi regime, rebels in contact
A violent clash erupted in Libya's rebel capital of Benghazi following the killing of the rebels military chief, as Moamer Gaddafi regime said Sunday it was in contact with rebel leadership members.
According to AFP, four rebels were killed in the clash with a pro- Gaddafi group in Benghazi overnight, a rebel spokesman said. According to him, the group, which suffered "about 20 casualties," was detained for its role in organizing a prison break in Benghazi last week.
Meanwhile, the Gaddafi regime said it was in contact with members of the NTC. "There are contacts with Mahmud Jibril (number two in the NTC), and (Ali) Essawy (in charge of external relations), (religious leader Ali) Sallabi and others," deputy foreign minister Khaled Kaaim told a Tripoli news conference.
The Libyan leader himself on Saturday night vowed once again to "never to abandon" the battle, in an audio tape broadcast on state television. Libya's enemies would be "defeated in the face of the resistance and courage of the Libyan people," he said in a speech.