Fresh clashes in Syria as 260 political prisoners freed
Eyewitnesses reported that 40 to 60 members of the Syrian security forces and demonstrators were wounded in the in the cities of Lattakia and Jable northwest Syria Saturday following clashes between security forces and demonstrators demanding reforms in the country. Several protesters were killed yesterday in Latakiaand at least 10 in the southern city of Daraa.
Meanwhile, the Syrian Association for Human Rights on Saturday announced that the authorities released Friday night, some 260 political prisoners, including Kurds and Islamists. This step appears to be the beginning of the implementation of promised reforms by the regime.
- Freed IS captive held with other Lebanese soldiers near Arsal border
- Syria: 190 political prisoners were freed
- At least nine journalists still imprisoned in Egypt
- Lebanon: Nasrallah vows not to use arms against political opponents
- Madiba's philosophy of "yes": How Mandela's politics could posthumously tranform the Middle East