Libya says scores killed in NATO strike
Libyan television announced early Wednesday that dozens of people were killed in bombing attacks by warships of NATO. It said the attacks took place during the night on the town Zliten, western Libya.
Forces loyal to the Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi have imposed a tight siege on the coastal town located 157 kilometers east of the capital Tripoli.
The authenticity of the report could not be verified as foreign journalists are barred from entering the Zliten. There were no immediate reactions by NATO.
If the Libyan state television report is confirmed, it may further complicate the task of the military coalition led by NATO in Libya. Earlier this week, NATO admitted killing civilians in an air strike on Tripoli.
A spokesperson for armed opposition in Zliten said that NATO forces struck military facilities which belong to Libyan leader's forces.
- Scores killed in Damascus blasts as NATO says ready to help Turkey
- Pakistani opposition party warns: NATO supply routes in jeopardy if US drone strikes continue
- Libya: 48 killed in Western attacks
- Gaddafi may eventually step down as Libya's leader: but not immediately
- NATO bombs Tripoly, says "no future" to Gadhafi