Syria foreign trade hits US$4.8 billion
According to a report issued by the Syrian Central Bureau of Statistics, the Syrian trade balance last year showed a deficit of SP6.225 billion (US$4.8 billion).The report said that the value of Syrian imports reached 2009 to SP714.216 billion (US$ 15.195 billion), while exports amounted to SP330.488 billion(US$10.695).
Figures also indicated that there was a sharp drop in Syria's foreign trade as the value of exports fell from SP789.707 billion (US$ 15 billion) in 2008 to SP488 billion (US$10.7 billion) in 2009.
Regarding the distribution of exports by country, the proportion of exports to the Arab countries was 53 percent in 2009 compared to 51 percent in 2008, followed by the European Union by 30 percent, while this figure amounted to 34 percent in 2008.
- Egyptian stocks plummet as Yemen confict deepens
- Mission to Mars: UAE plans Arab region's first unmanned probe
- Supervising the stoners: Egyptian tobacco traders call for the legalization of cannabis
- Ethiopia launches $2.8m research survey for Nile basin development
- UAE sweetens flotation regulations to attract more investment