14 dead in Damascus double suicide bomb
At least 14 people were killed and 31 injured in twin blasts caused by explosive devices planted in central Damascus on Tuesday, Syrian state television reported
The TV blamed "terrorist suicide bombers" for the attack on Damascus' Marjeh square, AFP reported.
Official television channel Al-Ikhbariya was the first to report the blasts and screened images of badly damaged vehicles and bloodied pavements.
"It seems the terrorists have struck again," said a television presenter, using the regime's term to refer to rebels fighting President Bashar al-Assad's troops.
In April, a bomb blast in the Square killed 13 people. Residents described scenes of carnage in Marjeh Square, in a commercial district in the heart of the capital, with dozens of cars and buildings damaged by the bomb which went off in front of the former Interior Ministry building.
State-run Syria Television said 70 people were also wounded, several critically, in what was also desribed as an attack by “terrorists” fighting to overthrow Assad.
Fighting in Syria, now entering its third year, has intensified in the last month with government forces attempting to roll back rebel advances.