Abbas: No use to meet Netanyahu
Palestinian president Mahmud Abbas said on Saturday he sees no use in meeting Benjamin Netanyahu if the latter approves further West Bank settlements construction before declaring a freeze.
Abbas, in Cairo for talks with Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak, told reporters that such a move by Netanyahu would mean he was not serious about peace talks. "It would mean that he doesn't want to do anything, and there's no need to meet him," Abbas said, according to AFP.
Abbas and Netanyahu are expected to meet on the sidelines of the next UN General Assembly meeting in New York later this month.
- Abbas ready to meet Netanyahu "at any time"
- Abbas, Netanyahu shake hands as Obama calls to ”find a way forward”
- Netanyahu adds Kerry to list of high-profile meetings this week ahead of Iranian nuclear talks in Geneva
- Abbas, Netanyahu agree to meet later this month
- Netanyahu wants to immediately meet Abbas