Ait Ahmed returns to Algeria
Ait Ahmed, 78, one of the giants of the Algerian fight for independence has returned to Algeria to celebrate the fiftieth anniversary of the November 1st uprising. The former President of the Socialist Forces Front has been in political exile in France for 23 years. He still commands considerable popularity in Algeria and the opposition press in both Algeria and France has been covering his visit extensively.
He warned that Algeria risks 'de-politicization' and he believes it has lost the values that inspired the revolt against French colonialism 50 years ago. It is believed that the authorities will try not to interfere with his visit for fear of backlashes and criticism of lack of press freedom. It is not though the Ahmed will remain in Algeria. (albawaba.com)
- Jean-Claude Brialyi tours Algeria
- Algerian State Attorney to Investigate Controversial Book Author
- Women in Algeria urged to vote in local elections
- ‘Jerusalem will not Fall’ Marks Egyptian Theatre Return to Algeria
- Press: Berber Party to Quit Algeria's Coalition Government because of ‘Deadly Riots in Kabylie Region’