Algeria: Colonel, soldier killed in attack
A colonel in the Algerian army and another soldier died earlier this week in a bomb attack in the Jijel region, 360 kilometres east of Algiers, Algerian newspapers reported Saturday.
Abdelkader Yamani, the military commander of Jijel, and his driver were travelling in a four-wheel drive vehicle in the mountainous region on Thursday when the bomb was activated by remote control, the reports said, according to AFP. Earlier this year in the same region the head of the Algerian army's land forces, General Ahcene Tafer, has survived an assassination attempt while he was making an inspection tour. Islamist militants claimed responsibility for the attack on his convoy.
- Kirkuk blast kills three as US soldier dies of wounds, Police colonel assassinated in Baghdad
- Five Iraqis wounded in Baghdad attack as US soldier killed in rocket attack; At least nine Iraqis killed in Najaf, Kufa
- Algeria: One soldier killed, opposition leader unhurt in attacks
- Algerian soldier killed in attack
- Two Tunisian soldiers killed in border attack