Ambassador: Most Saudi Suspects Released
Most of Saudi suspects in the deadly terrorist attacks on vital US buildings on Tuesday have been released, said Saudi ambassador in Washington, Prince Bander Bin Sultan Bin Abdulaziz.
"Most of the Saudi citizens who were interrogated by the US authorities have been freed," Prince Bander told the official Saudi Press Agency (SPA).
"Those who are still under interrogation are being provided with assistance and lawyers by the embassy," he said.
Foreign Minister Prince Saud Al Faisal said Sunday an unspecified number of Saudi nationals had been brought in for questioning over the September 11 attacks which left thousands dead.
Prince Bandar also said the embassy was closely watching the affairs of Saudi students and citizens in the US following reports of harassment, and has moved some of them into safe hotels.
The embassy was also helping Saudis return home, or move them to US states deemed safer, he said without giving details.
The measures were taken after Prince Faisal said a number of Saudis living in the United States had been a target of some harassment.
There are about 7,000 Saudi students in US universities in addition to a large number of tourists, businessmen and patients receiving medical treatment.
Prince Bandar described as "untrue rumors" reports indicating that Saudis were subjected to violent attacks.
King Fahd and Crown Prince Abdullah have expressed the kingdom's readiness to fight terrorism – Albawaba.com
© 2001 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Saudi authorities arrested 600 suspected Qaeda members since May
- Suspects on trial in Yemen for president assassination attempt
- Saudi Crown Prince: Mideast Peace Plan Includes Ambassador Exchange, Trade Resumption And Full Diplomatic Recognition
- Iran urges Lebanon to investigate Saudi man linked to Iranian embassy bomb in Beirut