Australia PM denies accusations he misled public on Iraq prisoner abuse
Australian Prime Minister John Howard on Tuesday denied that he had lied to the public or misled Parliament about when he first knew about the Iraqi prisoners abuse scandal and blamed civil servants for not telling him earlier.
Speaking to reporters before leaving on a trip to the
United States, where he will discuss Iraq with U.S.
President George W. Bush, Howard said Defense Department
bureaucrats had failed to brief him on the abuse. (Albawaba.com)
© 2004 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Australia Prime Minister: Action against Iraq is a U.S. matter
- Australian PM rejects Bush invitation to attend Iraq war summit in Washington
- Australia not to send peacekeepers to Iraq
- Seven Iraqis dead as Bush says early Australian troop pullout would be ''disastrous''
- Polish forces to pull out from Iraq by end of 2005, Australian forces asked to stay