B_ASEMENT Gallery Opens its Doors Next Week with its First Exhibition of Emerging Iranian Talent
A new art gallery taking shape in Dubai’s Al Quoz district aims to raise the regional and international profile of emerging Iranian artists in its opening exhibition, scheduled for 16 June.
BASEMENT gallery, created by a consortium of architects, art collectors and entrepreneurs, will showcase the works of five Iranian artists, all of whom are under the age of 40 and the majority of whom have not exhibited their works previously outside Iran.
“One of the concepts behind the gallery name is to create a platform for bringing these artists and their works out of the ‘basements’ where art is sometimes stored and forgotten into a growing regional and global marketplace,” said Baharak Raoufi, one of the founders of the BASEMENT gallery.
Another key objective is to underscore the fundamental value of art, the role of art in daily life, and the concept of the UAE and wider region as one large and open ‘studio’ environment in which art can be found almost everywhere,” she added.
BASEMENT’s opening exhibition is themed around the concept of ‘contemporary living,’ with large canvases that incorporate abstract themes, vibrant colour, and elements of Iranian calligraphy. This initial event will run until July 7, and BASEMENT plans to contrast the new with the old in its second exhibition by an Iranian master, which will open mid-July.
“The growth of the Middle East’s art market and the specific demand for works by Iranian artists have prompted us to develop the BASEMENT gallery. We are focused on offering a mix of artists and pieces previously unseen in Dubai as well as highlighting works by more established names in the Middle East’s arts community,” continued Narges Hamzianpour, another co-founder of the BASEMENT gallery.
BASEMENT’s launch comes at a time when international auction houses are achieving record prices for contemporary Iranian artworks, and galleries from Europe and Asia are increasingly exhibiting works by Iranian artists.
The artists taking part in BASEMENT’s inaugural exhibition include:
• Shahpari Behzadi – a one-time teacher and gallerist whose work has previously been sold in Hungary and Slovakia
• Hossein Edalatkhah – a painter with more than 20 previous exhibitions in Iran
• Aisling Haghshenas – an Irish-Iranian contemporary painter
• Rayka Milanian – An artist not exhibited in Dubai since 2001, with striking large-scale canvases
• Farbod Morshedzadeh – A PhD holder influenced by his years spent in India
About B_ASEMENT Gallery
BASEMENT gallery is a new art space in Dubai’s Al Quoz district, highlighting the works of both emerging and established Iranian and Arab artists.
- Iranian master Hannibal Alkhas makes Dubai debut at B_ASEMENT Gallery
- Euphoria at B_ASEMENT Gallery with paintings by Iranian artist Ali Akbar Sadeghi
- Opera Gallery in DIFC to Host Exhibition of European artists, Lita Cabellut and Roc-Roussey
- Le Gourmand Ibis presents Andrei Noda - A sense for the essential
- B_ASEMENT Gallery Uncovers Emerging Artists