Beirut Red Cross: Israel hands over prisoner to Lebanon
Israel released and handed over to Lebanon on Monday a Lebanese prisoner arrested on an arms boat off the coast of northern Israel, according to Lebanese security sources.
The International Committee of the Red Cross in Beirut confirmed it had been asked to repatriate a Lebanese prisoner.
"There is one Lebanese released from an Israeli prison...We have just been asked to repatriate
him," said Antoine Bieler, head of the ICRC in
Lebanon, according to Reuters.
The man was caught on board the Santorini weapons ship in
May 2001, but a military court cleared him in December 2002 of involvement in the attempt to smuggle weapons. (Albawaba.com)
- ICRC Mediates with Israel on Returning Pilot's Body to Lebanon
- UN Blasts Israel Violations of Lebanese Airspace
- Israel turns over bodies of two Hizbullah fighters
- Red Cross Says it Passed Prisoner Information from Israel to Hizbollah
- Lebanese report: Prisoner exchange between Hizbullah, Israel ''imminent''