Cairo blast: French teenager dies, Muslim Brotherhood condemn attack

Published February 23rd, 2009 - 06:26 GMT

A bomb killed a French teenager and injured at least 20 other people in a crowded square near a popular tourist market in the Egyptian capital Cairo on Sunday, officials said. According to Reuters, Sunday's bomb exploded near the Khan el-Khalili market in eastern Cairo.

 

The Health Ministry said a 17-year-old French girl died and 13 French tourists, three Saudis and four Egyptians had been wounded. The German Foreign Ministry said one German had been injured.

 

Egyptian state new agency MENA quoted security officials as saying the bomb had exploded under a bench in a garden in the square, and that a second bomb had been defused by security forces.

 

Security sources were earlier quoted as saying by Reuters that four people had died -- two tourists and two Egyptian street children.

 

The office of French President Nicolas Sarkozy said in a statement in Paris that one French national had died and seven others had been wounded.

 

The Muslim Brotherhood, the most powerful opposition group in Egypt, condemned the attacks.  "The Muslim Brotherhood parliamentary bloc condemns the criminal event ... and refuses all armed violence whatever its reasons," it said in a statement.