Egypt’s First Lady Praises Female Shura Council Candidates
Egypt’s First Lady Suzanne Mubarak has praised the female candidates in next week's Shura Council mid-term elections, and lauded their role in supporting women's participation in politics.
Her remarks came during a speech delivered on her behalf by Womens National Council Secretary General Farkhounda Hassan on Thursday, during a meeting with the female candidates.
The meeting was held to “discuss all obstacles facing the female candidates, said the news service.
Some 22 women are running in the Shura Council elections, and “this underlines that Egyptian public opinion trusts women and their capability in terms of work and service,” Mubarak said in her speech – Albawaba.com
© 2001 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- NDP Wins 14 of 19 Seats in Egypt's First-Stage Shura Council Elections
- Mubarak: Judicial Supervision Ensures Fair Shura Elections
- Egypt election: Muslim Brotherhood candidates fail to win seats
- Saudi king grants women the right to vote and run in election
- Egypt’s Shura Council to Answer Mubarak’s Call for Study of New Elections Law