Egyptian atheist is sentenced to three years for 'blasphemy'
An Egyptian atheist, who posted links online to a well known anti-Islam film, has been sentenced to three years in prison for 'blasphemy' and 'contempt of relgion'.
Alber Saber, a former Coptic Christian, turned atheist, was found guilty of circulating movie, 'Innocence of Muslims', which is considered highly offensive by much of the Islamic world, on Wednesday.
However, Saber denies the accusations and his supporters say that police used the movie as an excuse to raid his home and computer in order to find other postings that were critical of religion.
Liberals in Egypt have complained that the new draft constitution does nothing to protect those with different beliefs like Alber Saber and have argued that it will only serve to crack down further on freedom of expression.
- Egypt police home in on pigeon to intercept 'spy' message and crack microfilm code
- Oh my God! Egyptian student jailed for atheist Facebook announcement
- Where is the atheist rage? Egypt's non-believer rots in cell until blasphemy ruling this week
- Egyptian Writer on Trial for Blasphemy
- Is Egypt waging war on atheism?