Egypt's Ansar Jerusalem claims responsibility for deadly Mansoura bombing
Egypt’s so-called Ansar Jerusalem (Ansar Bait al-Maqdis in Arabic) declared responsibility on Tuesday for a deadly attack on a security building in the city of Mansoura that killed 14 people and wounded more than 100 others, Egyptian media reported citing a Twitter statement by the group.
“Dakahlia Security Directorate was attacked and the operation was carried out successfully thanks be to God and to our Jihadist brothers,” Youm7 news website quoted Ansar Jerusalem’s Twitter statement as saying.
A car bomb tore through the compound in in one of the deadliest attacks since the army deposed Islamist President Mohamed Morsi in July.
Egypt’s interim President Adly Mansour has declared three days of mourning.
The army-backed government vowed to fight “black terrorism,” saying the blast an hour after midnight in the city of Mansoura north of Cairo would not derail a political transition plan whose next step is a January referendum on a new constitution, according to Reuters.
The attack prompted a cabinet statement declaring Morsi’s Muslim Brotherhood a “terrorist organization,” though a state news agency report did not explicitly accuse the group of staging the attack. Morsi’s group condemned the bombing.
The Muslim Brotherhood and the so-called “anti-coup alliance” denounced the bombing and accused the notorious Mubarak-era security regime, which they say has returned after Morsi’s ouster, of plotting it.
A 2011 bombing of the Coptic Christians Church in Alexandria was largely associated in various reports with Mubarak’s former interior minister Habib Ibrahim el-Adly.
With at least eight policemen among the dead, the blast underlined the risk of militancy moving to the densely populated Nile Valley from the Sinai Peninsula, where attacks have killed some 200 members of the security forces since Morsi’s downfall.
“We face an enemy that has no religion or nation,” Interior Minister Mohamed Ibrahim, the survivor of an assassination attempt in Cairo in September, said at the scene of the blast.
The army said a car bomb had been used in what it called a “vile terrorist attack”, while the presidency said such attacks “only increase the state’s determination to uproot terrorism.”
Police “combat units” would deploy across the country with orders to use live ammunition, state TV reported.
Egypt has suffered the deadliest internal strife in its modern history since the army deposed Morsi, the nation’s first freely elected leader, on July 3 after big protests against him.
The state has outlawed the Brotherhood and driven it underground, jailing thousands of its supporters and accusing the group of turning to violence, a charge it denies.
The Sinai Peninsula, which borders Israel and the Gaza Strip to the east, has been the site of most of the major attacks since Morsi’s ouster: a car bomb killed 10 soldiers there in November, and 24 policemen died in an August ambush.
Many of the Sinai attacks, as well as the failed attempt on the life of Ibrahim, the interior minister, have been claimed by Ansar Bayt al-Maqdis.
There have also been lethal attacks on security forces in the Nile Delta, though nothing on the scale of Tuesday’s blast.
“An attack of this type has the effect of intimidating people and discouraging them from taking part in the (constitutional) referendum,” Mustapha Kamel Al-Sayid, a professor of political science at Cairo University, told Reuters.
Ibrahim described the car bombing as an attempt to terrorize citizens before the mid-January vote, which is to be followed by presidential and parliamentary elections next year. He said the security forces would fully secure the referendum.
State television showed the bombed police compound with shattered windows and one wall partially collapsed. A bulldozer was removing rubble in the street outside. Residents rushed to hospitals to check on the casualties. Egypt’s Nile News TV broadcast late-night appeals for blood donations.
Mansoura has been the scene of other attacks since Morsi’s removal. Five policemen were wounded in July by an explosive device thrown at a police station. In October, three policemen were killed when masked men attacked a checkpoint in the city.
Last week state prosecutors ordered Morsi and other Brotherhood leaders to stand trial on charges including scheming with foreign militants to carry out terrorist attacks in Egypt.
The Brotherhood described those charges as risible.
- Hamas denies involvement in Mansoura blast
- Top militant reportedly killed in Egypt's Sinai
- Members of "terrorist" Muslim Brotherhood arrested in Egypt
- Egypt militant group Ansar Beit al-Maqdis deny their leader has been killed
- Militant group Ansar Bayt al-Maqdis warn tourists to leave Egypt, threaten more terror attacks