Egypt: Senior Muslim Brotherhood figures detained
Egyptian security forces conducted raids early Sunday and arrested three senior Muslim Brotherhood figures in Cairo. According to the Muslim Brotherhood's website, among those arrested are Dr. Abdel-Moneim Abu el-Fotouh, Member of the Executive Bureau of the Muslim Brotherhood, and Secretary-General of the Arab Doctors’ Federation, Judge Fathi Lashin, former legal adviser to the Ministry of Justice and Expert on Islamic Financial Transactions and Dr. Jamal Abdul Salam, Head of the Emergency Relief Committee of the Arab Doctors’ Federation and the Muslim Brotherhood’s candidate in the 2005 elections.
It is worth mentioning that Abu Fotouh was first arrested in 1981 and then tried in one of the Muslim Brotherhood military tribunals. He was jailed in 1996 for 5 years.
Meanwhile, Dr. Jamal Abdul Salam was released on February 5th, after he had been detained for more than 50 days because of his support to the Palestinians in Gaza Strip.
- Egypt: Three Muslim Brotherhood members arrested for forming ”jihad” group
- Egypt: Top Muslim Brotherhood official arrested
- Egyptian security forces detain 10 members of Muslim Brotherhood
- Muslim Brotherhood denies plans to field candidate in next Egyptian presidential election
- Egypt: 32 members of Muslim Brotherhood detained