Egyptian President Meets with Iraqi Foreign Minister
Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak met Sunday with Iraqi Foreign Minister Mohammed Said al-Sahhaf, who said he handed him a message from Iraqi President Saddam Hussein.
"The message covers efforts to clean up Arab relations and the coordination of positions before the summit of the Organization of the Islamic Conference," Sahhaf said at Cairo airport on his return from the Red Sea resort of Sharm el-Sheikh, where he met with Mubarak.
He said that the message also covered "the position of Arab countries on the Palestinian question."
Sahhaf arrived late Saturday in Cairo where he met immediately with his Egyptian opposite number, Amr Moussa.
The Iraqi foreign minister started a tour of the Arab world Tuesday, which has already taken him to Jordan and Yemen. The trip is mainly directed at preparing for the Islamic Conference summit, which will be held in Doha November 12 to 14.
Before heading for Qatar, Sahhaf will make a stopover in Libya.
Iraq said at the end of October that it planned to urge the Islamic Conference to focus the summit exclusively on the Palestinian question – CAIRO (AFP)
© 2000 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Sources: Egyptian President to meet Saudi Foreign Minister, Syrian President
- Egyptian President to Meet Russian Foreign Minister
- Wife of Egyptian President ends UAE meeting
- Egypt’s President receives Iraqi Foreign Minister
- Jordan Preparing For Beirut Summit: Prime Minister, Foreign Minister Arrive in Cairo to Coordinate Arab Positions