Egypt's army preparing to deploy in cities
Egypt's army is preparing to deploy in cities across Egypt if necessary to stop rival politcal factions clashing, military sources told Reuters on Tuesday.
General Abdel Fattah al-Sisi, head of the armed forces, issued an ultimatum to Egyptian President Mohamed Morsi on Monday evening, saying the armed forces would propose its own resolution to the massive protests if he failed to adderss them himself.
The same sources told AFP that rapid response units have been on standby since Friday in case they were needed to protect demonstrators.
- Sisi's presidential bid in question as he promotes Egyptian armed forces
- Egypt's military marches in: Army issues all parties 48-hour ultimatum to reach resolution
- Egypt's constitution committee: "We will urge Al Sisi to run for president"
- UAE Prime Minister urges Egypt's Al Sisi to stay army and forgo presidential run
- Egyptian army prepared to sacrifice blood in the 'Final Hours'