Egypt's army preparing to deploy in cities
Egypt's army is preparing to deploy in cities across Egypt if necessary to stop rival politcal factions clashing, military sources told Reuters on Tuesday.
General Abdel Fattah al-Sisi, head of the armed forces, issued an ultimatum to Egyptian President Mohamed Morsi on Monday evening, saying the armed forces would propose its own resolution to the massive protests if he failed to adderss them himself.
The same sources told AFP that rapid response units have been on standby since Friday in case they were needed to protect demonstrators.
- Sisi's presidential bid in question as he promotes Egyptian armed forces
- Dozens of pro-Morsi protesters clash with police across Egypt
- Egypt's military marches in: Army issues all parties 48-hour ultimatum to reach resolution
- Sisi reshuffles top Egyptian army posts sparking renewed presidency rumours
- UAE Prime Minister urges Egypt's Al Sisi to stay army and forgo presidential run