Fateh Member Shot to Death in Lebanese Refugee Camp
A member of Fateh movement was shot dead by masked men Thursday as he left work at the Ain El Helweh refugee camp near Sidon, a Palestinian source said.
Mohammad Ibrahim Al Miri, 27, was killed instantly by the gunmen, who then fled the scene, the source said.
Miri was apparently killed for "arousing friction between pro- and anti-Syrian groups in the camp just when there was the beginning of normalization (in Palestinian relations with Syria) with the announced upcoming visit by (Palestinian leader Yasser) Arafat to Syria," the source said.
Fateh is the dominant political faction at Ain El Helweh, the largest Palestinian refugee camp in Lebanon, with some 70,000 residents.
As with the country's 11 other refugee camps, the entrances to Ain El Helweh are controlled by the Lebanese army, but Lebanese security forces do not operate inside -- SIDON, Lebanon (AFP)
© 2001 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Lebanese Authorities Arrest Suspected Killers of Palestinian Official
- Son of Islamist faction founder shot dead in Lebanese refugee camp
- Syrian woman freezes to death in Lebanese refugee camp
- Palestinian Fateh Member Escapes Assassination Attempt outside Lebanon Camp
- Fateh Member Killed in Mysterious Explosion near Jerusalem