Following Saudi amnesty proposal: Top '\'terrorist'\' hands himself in
One of the Saudi Kingdom's most wanted "terrorists" surrendered Monday, the second suspect to turn himself in under a one-month government amnesty announced last week.
37-year-old Othman Hadi Al-Maqbul Al-Amri gave himself up after two years on the run, an official source at the Saudi Interior Ministry said.
"I surrendered of my own free will, having trusted the words of Crown Prince Abdullah," a local journalist quoted Al-Amri as saying after his surrender.
A well-known religious scholar, Safar Al-Hawali, who served as a mediator between Al-Amri and the authorities, said the suspect was expected to meet Assistant Interior Minister Prince Muhammad ibn Naif later Monday.
Al-Hawali, who has offered his service as a mediator in the past, said he had been in contact with Al-Amri since last Ramadan.
Al-Amri "came this afternoon from Bani Amr (in Asir) to Jeddah," he said.
"Othman thanked the crown prince for his amnesty and called on the other (suspects) to take advantage of it," he added.
Al-Amri figures 21st on the Interior Ministry’s most-wanted list established at the end of last year.
Al-Amri’s surrender came five days after King Fahd announced the partial amnesty aimed at ending a wave of Al-Qaeda-linked attacks, mostly on foreigners. (Albawaba.com)
© 2004 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Saudi man suspected of having links to 9/11 attackers turns himself
- Saudi Arabia offers one-month amnesty to al Qaeda suspects
- PA Rejects Israeli Demand to Find and Hand Over Alleged Zeevi Assassins
- Wanted Saudi national surrendered himself
- The legacy of King Abdullah: the good, the bad and the downright ugly