Foreign Ministry says two Qatari nationals arrested in Russia
Two Qataris have been arrested in Russia, the foreign ministry said in Doha, amid a diplomatic row over charges brought in Doha against two Russians for the murder of a Chechen leader in the Gulf emirate earlier this month.
"The ministry confirms that it is in continual contact with the Russian foreign ministry demanding clarifications and an explanation ... and the reasons why two Qatari citizens have been arrested," Thursday night, a ministry official said in a statement to the Qatar News Agency.
"The Russian foreign ministry has replied that it will furnish an official response on Monday," the official said.
According to Qatari sources, the two men were officials with a judo team transiting through a Moscow airport en route to a tournament in Serbia when they were detained. (Albawaba.com)
© 2004 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Qatar deports Russian diplomat
- Foreign Ministry: Five Russian students suspected of '\'illegal activities'\' arrested in Egypt
- Former Chechen President kiiled in Qatar blast
- Qatari Foreign Minister visits Kuwait
- Moscow recommends citizens to refrain from visiting Iraq following abduction of eight Russians