Gaza: Commander of Palestinian police escapes assassination attempt
Unidentified Palestinian gunmen stormed into Gaza's police headquarters and opened fire on Thursday, injuring at least 11 officers, in what police said was a botched assassination attempt against the Palestinian national police chief.
A police statement said Major General Ghazi al-Jabali escaped the scene unhurt.
Palestinian sources said one of the gunmen was a member of a group linked to the preventative security services in Gaza.
"A group of lawless persons of the lowest level attempted to assassinate the founder of the Palestinian national police, dispatched by various parties that do not wish to see security and peace in our homeland," a police declaration, quoted by Reuters, said.
"[This was] a flagrant attack on Palestinian legitimacy and in violation of all...standards of our heroic people."
The statement identified the 11 wounded as policemen and bodyguards of Jabali. (Albawaba.com)
© 2004 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Palestinian Police Alarmed by High Casualty of Wedding Shootings
- Day of kidnappings in Gaza Strip
- Four Hamas activists killed by Palestinian police in Gaza Strip
- Islamic Jihad activists escape assassination attempt in Gaza Strip; At least four reported injured
- Palestinian Authority to Shut All Schools Tuesday after Clashes