Gaza Strip: One Hamas man killed, one wounded by Israeli fire
Israeli aircraft fired a missile at Hamas fighters preparing to shoot mortar shells at Gaza Strip settlements Wednesday, the first such strike since a de facto cease-fire was declared in February 2005. Hamas said one of its members was critically injured in the attack.
Earlier, Israeli soldiers shot dead a Palestinian fighter on the Gaza Strip-Egypt border, witnesses said, according to news agencies. They said Ahmed Barhoum, 22, a Hamas man, was hit in the head by a bullet.
Israeli sources conveyed Palestinians shot at Israeli soldiers operating in the area, who returned fire.
Hamas stated the man was on a "jihadic mission" when he was killed. According to Palestinian sources, Barhoum was guarding the edge of the Rafah refugee camp.
- Israeli troops kill three Palestinians in Hebron, one in Gaza Strip
- Gaza clash: One Hamas member killed, three Israeli soldiers wounded as Israeli troops raid Jenin
- Three Palestinians killed by Israeli fire in West Bank and Gaza Strip
- Gaza Strip: Hamas fighter shot dead, Palestinian girl wounded
- Gaza Strip: Islamic Jihad man killed as 11 Israeli soldiers wounded in mortar attack