Gaza Strip: Palestinian truce collapses as at least six die
Hamas gunmen ambushed what the Islamic resistance movement alleged was a convoy carrying weapons to Mahmoud Abbas' presidential guard in the Gaza Strip on Thursday. At least six persons died and at least 89 were injured, locals said, according to Reuters.
The four-truck convoy, which set off from the "Kerem Shalom" crossing with Israel, was stopped by gunfire in the central Gaza Strip.
The incident threatened a 3-day-old ceasefire between Palestinian factions in which at least 30 Palestinians had been killed.
A battle raged between Hamas gunmen and presidential guards accompanying the convoy, according to locals in the area who said four people died. Medics said 17 people, including two children, were injured in the clash.
Sources in the governing Hamas movement said the trucks were carrying weapons for the 4,000-man presidential guard. "Hamas' heroes have commandeered arms shipments that came through Kerem Shalom as part of the fight against the Palestinian people," a presenter on a Hamas radio station said.
Soon after, clashes broke out in Gaza City and in northern Gaza Strip outside a military intelligence post. Security officials said Hamas fighters fired a rocket at the post and then sacked it, injuring five members of the security forces. At least two Hamas supporters were injured, Hamas said.
A Fatah member was kidnapped in northern Gaza Strip during the clashes, and one security officer was wounded, security officials said.
- Gaza Strip: Another truce declared after at least 14 killed in Fatah-Hamas clashes
- Gaza Strip: Truce collapses with five dead in Hamas-Fatah clashes
- Gaza Strip: Palestinian woman dies of wounds; Six injured by Israeli fire
- Gaza Strip: At least 19 die in military parade; Hamas blames Israel
- Gaza Strip: Six Palestinians die by Israeli fire