Hamas claims Gaza Strip settlement attack; Israel arrests Palestinians in Jenin, Nablus
A Palestinian fighter penetrated the security fence of the Gaza Strip settlement of Shalev Wednesday, firing a pistol and killing at least two settlers before Israeli troops shot him dead, Israel's Army Radio reported.
There were conflicting reports as to the circumstances of the attack. According to one report, the Palestinian entered the agricultural area with a group of Palestinian workers, recovering a handgun that had been hidden for use in the attack.
Another report said the attacker had taken the gun from one of the settlers, then opened fire.
Hamas claimed responsibility for the attack. It identified the gunman as Ismail Braiss, 25.
In the West Bank town of Jenin, Israeli troops conducted house-to-house searches in a downtown neighborhood, arresting all men age 15 or older, Palestinian witnesses and security officials said.
In the Balata refugee camp near Nablus, Israeli soldiers arrested seven neighbors of a suicide bomber who blew up in the Israeli town of Kfar Sava on Monday, killing two Israelis.
Earlier, Israeli police arrested three Palestinians near the International Ben-Gurion Airport.
The manhunt caused portions of the main Tel Aviv-Jerusalem highway to be closed for several hours overnight.
The three Palestinians were caught near the El Al Junction off of the Tel Aviv-Jerusalem highway at one of the many roadblocks set up by police at the entrance to towns and on major highways, Haaretz reported.
Israeli media reports said the three intended to strike a target inside Israel.
Also Wednesday, three mortars landed in a settlement in the Gush Katif settlement bloc in the Gaza Strip without causing injuries, Israel Radio reported. (Albawaba.com)
© 2002 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
- Hamas says attacks on Israel to continue; Israel makes arrests in West Bank, Gaza Strip
- PFLP claims bombing attack in Gaza Strip; Two Palestinians shot dead in West Bank
- Israeli attack on Nablus; five Palestinians killed in Nablus area, Gaza Strip, scores arrested
- Shooting attack in Gaza Strip; Residents: Israel buried dozens in huge mass grave in Jenin refugee camp
- Attack on Jewish Settlement In Gaza Strip: Five Settlers Killed, Hamas Claims Responsibility; Assailant Shot Dead